Thursday, March 1, 2012

Five Second Rule...Does It Work?


Photo Credit: Wikimedia.com




As you sit down with a bowl of chips in your hands, the bowl slips out of your hand and--oops! The bowl lands on the floor. Most of the chips are still in the bowl but some have fallen out but still they are intact. Do you A) pick up the fallen chips, dust them off and eat them or B) you throw them away and get some more from the bag in the kitchen (five feet away)?

If you picked B, congratulations! You have just save yourself from eating chips covered in THOUSANDS of germs! If you picked choice A, you might want to know why the ``five second rule`` is a BIG lie.

This crazy idea that food rescued from the floor would me germ free was discovered  by a high school student, Jillian Clarke, during her internship at the University of Illinois in 2003. She coated tiles in E. coil bacteria and then dropped the food on the tiles. She discovered that bacteria do jump on the food at five seconds. She also found that women are more likely to eat food fallen on the ground than men. And that sweet treats are more likely to be rescued and consumed than veggies.

It`s kind of obvious that you shouldn't`t eat from the floor because who knows what walked on those, tiles and carpets, last. Like they alwasy say, don`t believe everything you hear.

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is really interesting! I have always wondered how that worked. I' sorry to say but I would have chosen A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It`s ok Amanda if you choose A because now you know not to. -_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to do that when I was little until someone said, that germs could eat you up...when I was little. Then I found out even 5 seconds it still has germs on it so ya its true...it doesn't work. But some people still do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still do that I would eat almost an anything off the floor.

    ReplyDelete